Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Classic Cream Cheese Frosting


               First snow of the year this morning! I know most of y'all would be running for the hot cocoa and chili, but there is just something about baking that really warms my soul. Baking carrot cakes especially. The way the spice cake smells as it bakes, creeping into every crevice of your home, hugging you in cinnamon, and enveloping you in warmth, is enough to send me up a wall!
                I've veganized this recipe from one of my Grandma's old recipe cards, a tried and true family favorite. To replace the original six eggs (yes, SIX eggs!), I have used apple sauce, upping the fiber content, and adding natural sweetness. You could maybe even tell yourself that these are healthy enough for breakfast! Licking the spoon was all it took to convince me, so I proceeded to stuff my face with seven.
Nothing quite as pretty as fresh, organic carrots!
I usually always have homemade apple sauce and pineapple puree on hand,
 cause they're some of my lil piglets favorites,
but store bought should work fine.


The spices are key to me for a perfect carrot cake. I prefer a blend of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger to give the cupcake a surprisingly spicy bite.


I threw some chopped walnuts in with the carrots, and the rest of the wet ingredients, but this tastes great with pecans, raisins, or nothing at all! I've made this with many different variations, and all have turned out as tasty as the next.

Gently fold in the dry batter with the wet, going in batches. I pour half the dry in, mix until it is incorporated, then repeat. Try not to overwork the batter.
Pairing these cupcakes with my classic "cream cheese" frosting is HIGHLY recommended. The sharp taste of the frosting really cuts the sweetness of the cupcake. I usually tend to garnish with pistachios, dried cranberries, or toasted coconut. All are as beautiful as they are delicious!



No comments :

Post a Comment