Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Homemade Toaster Strudels

You knew your parents loved you when you found toaster strudels in the freezer, and also knew your siblings were the absolute worst when the frosting packs came up short. We're going on our second snow day down here in Tennesse, so I've been digging in the freezer trying to whip together whatever I can. I cannot believe how simple these were to throw together, with only a handful of ingredients to boot! Puff pastry sheets and frozen fruits are two of my freezer staples, and they're also items that regularly go on sale, so you can stock up.
Puff pastry sheets are one of those great things that are "accidentally" vegan. Thank the Lord! I always keep a couple packages in the freezer to pull together quick pot pies, veggie pinwheels, and a whole manner of desserts.
While the coffee was brewing, I dumped a whole bag of frozen fruit in a saucepan with only a tablespoon of sugar, and let it thicken up for a good thirty minutes. Easy as pie! While I wouldn't exactly call this a nutritious and well-balanced breakfast, I feel much better about feeding these to my family than that processed nonsense.
I just cannot even begin to explain how delightful these made the house smell. Everyone kept hopping around the oven, impatiently waiting for them to be done. When I stated that they had to cool down before I could ice them, I thought my head was off to the chopping block.

Homemade Toaster Strudles
Author: The Porkless Peg Serves: 6
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 package of puff pastry sheets
  • 3 cups frozen mixed berries
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Let your puff pastry thaw from the freezer for 45 minutes
  2. While that thaws, in a small sauce pan, heat fruit and tablespoon of sugar over medium low heat until thickened into a jam like consistency
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  4. Lay out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface
  5. With a pizza cutter, cut into twelve equal rectangles
  6. Spoon fruit mixture evenly onto six pieces pastry
  7. Top with remaining six pastry pieces and fork down edges
  8. Transfer to greased cookie sheet and bake for twenty five minutes
  9. While they are cooling completely, whisk together powdered sugar and almond milk
  10. Drizzle over strudels once they are cooled completely, and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment