Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Chocolate Mousse Tarts



They say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I've always found this to be especially true. Make your new beau a big ole plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and you know he'll be coming back around for seconds. So of course with me being the Martha Stewart wannabe I am, I had to make an adorable, chocolate little something for my valentine. I am perpetually concerned about his health though, considering he thinks hot chicken and cheeseburgers make for a well balanced meal. So I found myself digging around the internet looking for a healthier way to make chocolate tarts, and lo and behold I come across the idea of using avocados to mimic a creamy mousse texture.
 Yes, these avocados. The ones that are usually reserved for spicy guacamoles, and savory sandwiches. Don't worry, their flavor gets completely masked by the addition of cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate. And a little bit of sugar for my sugar. Apparently, avocados are aphrodisiacs as well! The Aztecs and Mayans ate them by the truckloads to increase sexual desirability. They believed this so much that they barred maidens from leaving the house during harvest time!
How cool are these paper bakeware hearts from Welcome Home Brands? You can find them here, and they have so many different shapes and patterns for use all year long. These made this a much easier and cleaner process, since I can just serve it in the pan I made it in! These are also oven safe, I mean how crazy is that?? I think these would be absolutely excellent to bring a teacher's gift in from your little ones.
We're going with a no bake tart today because I have a sick eleven month old and have zero time for any of that pre-bake nonsense. Plus, has butter mixed with oreos ever been a bad idea?
You could use your fingers, but I found it easier to press down the oreo mixture with the back of a spoon, so as to not get it all over my hands. In retrospect, I am realizing I missed out on a perfectly good occasion to lick buttery oreos of my fingers. C'est la vie!

I know, it kind of blew my mind as well.

Chocolate Mousse Tarts
Author: The Porkless Peg Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
  • 16 oreos
  • 2 tbsp melted Earth Balance buttery spread
  • 2 ripe Haas avocados
  • 1/4 cup melted vegan dark chocolate
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
  • raspberries for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a food processor, combine melted earth balance and oreos until it reaches the consistency of sand
  2. Evenly distribute and press into baking molds, set aside
  3. Back in the food processor, blend avocados, melted chocolate, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and agave until very smooth.
  4. Evenly distribute among baking molds, smoothing the tops with the back of your spoon
  5. Decorate with raspberries however you prefer
  6. Chill in fridge for at least thirty minutes, and serve

No comments :

Post a Comment