Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Well Butter My Biscuit


         My family is what you would call "Old Memphis". Being such, one must adhere to certain southern niceties. Namely, always having something to offer your guests.  My choice? These warm, flaky "buttermilk" biscuits. What could be better than offering your guests a plate stacked sky high with warm, buttery biscuits and a nice, cold pitcher of perfectly sweetened iced tea?!
       
First things first, we have to replace the buttermilk when veganizing Southern style biscuits. An easy trick is to just add any acid to your favorite non-dairy milk. I've mixed one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of almond milk, but you could use lemon or white vinegar as well. Let this chill in the fridge to curdle, while you work on your dry ingredients.

I like to sift my flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, but this is a completely unnecessary step. I do think it adds a certain fluffiness to the biscuit, but honestly I like doing this because it reminds me of chilly mornings baking biscuits with my Mama. Sifting flour was second only to licking the spoon!


Make sure when pinching your vegan butter in, and adding your "buttermilk" that everything is COLD. This is crucial to biscuit making.  When the biscuits are baking, the butter evaporates, and this is what causes the biscuits to have that perfect, flaky texture.

Pat, never roll, your biscuit dough out about an inch thick. I'm lucky enough to have my great, great, grandmothers biscuit cutter, but any old cup should do the trick!


Well butter my buns, and call me a biscuit!


No comments :

Post a Comment